We need to pressure the Biden Administration to remove the Barr memo and order the Archivist David Ferriero to record and publish the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) into the Constitution, as it was ratified by the 38th state (Virgiinia) in January of 2020 & needs to be officially incorporated into the federal Constitution NOW!
Here are some concrete actions you can take:
Download and share the ERA-FIST brochure: Why We Need the ERA
- Send an email to the White House every day for a month. Sample text of email:
Women have been waiting nearly a century since the Lucretia Mott Amendment was first introduced into Congress. We have worked long and hard to ratify the Equal Rights Amendment and have ratified the 38th state of Virginia in January of 2020.
How long do we have to wait for you to honor your commitment to women and direct the Archivist to publish the Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution?! You should have done this on your first day in office. Women are WAITING and we are WATCHING to see if you will live up to your campaign promises.
- Send a postcard every day for a month to the White House demanding that they publish the ERA (stamped postcards=$12 for 30. One trip to the Post Office; 29 trips to one’s mailbox) with the message: WOMEN HAVE WAITED NEARLY A CENTURY FOR OUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS. REMOVE THE BARR MEMO AND DIRECT THE ARCHIVIST TO PUBLISH THE ERA NOW!! The address is: President Joe Biden/Vice-President Kamala Harris, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. 20500.
- Call 2 female Senators per day (18 Democrats; 2 moderate Republicans), 3 times (10 days to go through the list at 2 per day) and urge them to demand that the White House publish the ERA. Here is a list of women senators and their phone numbers to call. They are all Democrats who should definitely support the ERA except for two moderate Republicans (Susan Collins from Maine and Lisa Murkowski from Alaska) whom we believe are in favor of equal rights for women. We have included their states as well–if you are a constituent of theirs, please emphasize that; let them know you are contacting them because as women you hope they care about women’s rights as much as you do and that you are calling on behalf of all the women in their state and the country.
- Pressure Biden and Harris on social media. Here are some sample tweets for Twitter:
- @WhiteHouse @JoeBiden @KamalaHarris @POTUS @VP @EqualMeansEqual Women have waited 101 years since winning the vote, and in 2023 it will be a CENTURY since the #EqualRightsAmendment was first introduced as the Lucretia Mott Amendment, ratified in 2020. Record and publish #ERANow!
- @WhiteHouse @JoeBiden @KamalaHarris @POTUS @VP @EqualMeansEqual Women voted for you bc they believed you when you said you support women’s rights & the #EqualRightsAmendment. Why haven’t you honored their trust?! Remove the Barr memo& direct #DavidFerriero to publish the #ERANow!
@WhiteHouse @JoeBiden @KamalaHarris @POTUS @VP @EqualMeansEqual The 38th state has ratified the #EqualRightsAmendment in January of 2020. We demand that you remove the Barr memo and direct Archivist #DavidFerriero to record and publish the #ERA to the US Constitution! #ERANow!
- @WhiteHouse @JoeBiden @KamalaHarris @POTUS @VP @EqualMeansEqual What’s going on w/the #EqualRightsAmendment? When are you going to order the Archivist #DavidFerriero to publish it?!! We have ratified the 38th state. WE DEMAND THAT YOU PUBLISH IT TO THE U.S.CONSTITUTION! #ERANow!
- @WhiteHouse @JoeBiden @KamalaHarris @POTUS @VP @EqualMeansEqual Women are waiting and women are watching to see if you are going to follow through on ensuring our constitutional rights are finally recognized! Remove the Barr memo. Direct the #Archivist to publish the #ERANow