Feminists in Struggle (FIST) presents our women-only Feminist Education Series (part one): OUR RADICAL FEMINIST ROOTS from January through August of 2022.
We will be reading and discussing articles and books and viewing movies from our feminist herstory covering both the First and Second Waves of Feminism. There will be brief presentations and small group discussions at each session to raise consciousness and build sisterhood. We are also presenting two panels of “veterans” from the Feminist Movement sharing their experiences and where we should go from here. See this flyer or the Eventbrite page for more details!
The sessions will occur on the 2nd and 4th Fridays of every month on Zoom: 5:30 to 7:30 Pacific, 7:30 to 9:30 Central, and 8:30 to 10:30 Eastern. Copies of many of the written materials will be provided. We will also make suggestions about where other books and materials may be obtained free or at a reasonable price.
The series is free for dues-paying FIST members // $25 for non-members // $15 for low-income non-members – PRICES ARE FOR THE WHOLE SERIES.
Tickets can be purchased through Eventbrite here.
Knowledge is power! Please join us!
Feminists in Struggle
Month: November 2021
Texas Abortion FightBack
At the FIST forum on abortion rights last week we heard from Merle Hoffman, founder and CEO of Choices Women’s Medical Center in NY, that clinics can register with various abortion funds to serve women who cannot afford the procedure or need to travel long distances to obtain the care they need. The severe restrictions in Texas have increased the need for donations to abortion funds. Choices has already served more than a dozen women from Texas. With sheer grit, abortion funds persist in the state despite the vigilante law that encourages citizens to turn in anyone helping a woman get an abortion after 6 weeks of pregnancy.
The National Women’s Law Center has identified the following groups already on the ground helping to keep access to abortion in Texas. We encourage donations.
- Bridge Collective – abortion fund in Central Texas.
- West Fund – abortion fund serving West Texas and New Mexico.
- Frontera Fund – abortion fund serving the Rio Grande Valley.
- Buckle Bunnies Fund – mutual aid organization for Texans who need abortions.
- Texas Equal Access Fund https://teafund.org/ – abortion fund for Texans.
- Fund Texas Choice – fund to cover transportation costs in Texas.
- The Afiya Center – includes an abortion fund centering Black women and girls in Texas.
- Lilith Fund – abortion fund for Texans.
- Clinic Access Support Network – abortion fund for women who need abortions in the Houston area.
- Keep Our Clinics – support for independent abortion clinics.
- Jane’s Due Process – helps young Texans navigate parental consent laws to access abortion.